Thursday, December 2, 2010

A Computer Framework for Algorithmic Music Generation

For the last three months or so I have been developing a piece of software that algorithmically generates music. The program works pretty well, but the algorithms that produce the music are still a little bit rudimentary. There is still a lot of room for improvement. The music it generates is usually not quite coherent.

I am giving a presentation about this project at California State University San Bernardino tomorrow. It should be good, because I won't really have to do very much other than explain how the program works and then run it.

Last night I finished up the program, cleaned up the code to make it presentable, and then put together a short PowerPoint presentation.

And then I went to bed and dreamed about another feature that the program needed. "But!" I kept telling myself, "I already finished it! I can't change it now!"

I woke up this morning, and for a second I thought about rushing to the computer to implement the new functionality.

After that second was over I realized that I had no idea what the feature was that I had dreamed about. So I went back to sleep for another fifteen minutes.

I think I might have dreamed about it again.

If so, then I forgot it again the second time I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment